Jun 21, 2017

A Roman Love Affair - Annie West

I'm in love - with Rome. It started early, watching Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in 'Roman Holiday' and then there were all those years when I studied the history and culture of the ancient city. But there's nothing quite like spending time there to turn an affection into love!
 
In May this year I was lucky enough to spend a week in Rome. The intention was to do some research for future books, but to take it slow, getting over jetlag ready to attend a readers' festival in Paris. But instead of taking things slow I found myself out and about from early in the morning till late in the evening, revelling in this marvellous city.
 
Here are just a couple of the things that appealed:
 
1. The view from the hotel room. How could you not love that? Added to that was that it was right next to a big park and from the balcony I could hear birdsong.
 
2. Speaking of hotels, there was the rooftop terrace and bar and the chance to watch the sun go down over the city before heading out for dinner.
 
 
3. The unexpected finds when wandering around the city, like a piece of beautifully carved marble, ignored by everyone as too mundane.
 
 
4. When they do spectacular in Rome, they really do spectacular. Here's the ceiling of a corridor in the Vatican that was just stunning.
 
 
5. The food. Sigh. This lemon and saffron risotto that was one of the best lunches I've ever had!
 
 
6. The museums. Yes, I'm a nerd but I loved them. Here's one of my favourite things - a glorious Etruscan terracotta sarcophagus built for a loving couple.
 
 
7. The sheer theatre of the place. Where else would you find a couple of Roman soldiers hanging around the street ready for photo opportunities.
 
 
8. The early evening stroll (passeggiata) and the opportunity to relax at an outdoor cafe and watch the people go by. In case you're wondering, the bright orange drink is an Aperol Spritz, something I've only had in Italy.
 
 
I'm hoping to visit Rome again sometime but meanwhile I have hundreds of photos and a huge store of happy memories. Plus I'll be revisiting the city as I write some future stories.
 
Is there a place you visited on holiday that you can't wait to return to? I'd love to hear!
 
And if you want a touch of Italian goodness, Annie has a new romance out. BOUND TO THE ITALIAN BOSS is (you guessed it) an office romance set, not in Rome but in the beautiful north of Italy. It's the 3rd book in her HOT ITALIAN NIGHTS e-novella series. For more details, visit Annie's website, or you can buy it at the usual places. Here's the link to it at Amazon.
 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XP5VBYK

23 comments:

  1. Italy is still very high up on my list of places to go! If I was to return to anywhere, it would be to go back to Reykjavic Iceland in the summertime to see the polar opposite of what we saw in winter - 24hour sunlight, wild flowers vs the 4 hour days and heavy snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Stef, I'd love to go to Iceland. I hear such great things about travelling there and the photos are amazing. I also have it on excellent authority that they do a wonderful lobster bisque. I can't imagine being there in winter. Brr.

      Delete
    2. It wasn't any colder than Canada, so I'd had good training lol

      Delete
    3. Oh Stef! I'd forgotten about the cold there. Silly of me!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you liked Rome, Annie. Very nice photos.
    A place where I would go back is certainly Provence and the French Riviera, Nice, Monte Carlo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Franca! I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos. They bring back memories of lovely days. Oh, yes, I loved that area too. I didn't see a lot of Provence but what I did was terrific. We stayed in Nice and I'd visit again in a flash!

      Delete
  3. You've made me want to include Rome in my Italisn holiday, Annie. I've dreamed of visiting Tuscany, particularly Sienna and San Giminiano for years. One day ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely something to look forward to, Shelagh! Enjoy the planning.

      Delete
  4. You totally nailed where I want to go back to, Annie! I honestly think taly is my spiritual home. Positano in particular :-)
    We had Spritz for the first time a year ago in Italy where everywhere you looked at cafes and restaurants people were drinking it. We loved it so much we regularly buy Aperol now and make it up to drink at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Amy, Positano is on my list. I haven't visited there yet but I'm hoping... Isn't Italy a wonderful place to visit?
      I had Aperol a couple of years ago in the north of the country - curious to see what the vibrant orange drink everyone had was like. Not sure I'd buy it for home. Though I could be tempted!

      Delete
    2. Annie and Amy, count me in as another fan of the Aperol Spritz. So much so that I bought the ingredients last Christmas (our cocktail of choice; I do a different one each year.)

      Delete
  5. Hi Annie

    What lovely photos thank you for haring Italy is one place I would love to visit maybe one day but for me I have been on a few cruises now and there is an Island called Mare that has the most beautiful beach and just sitting there in the glorious weather and watching the Islanders smile chop up coconuts for the tourists was amazing and I have been there twice now and would love to go again :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed them, Helen. Your beach sounds marvellous, especially with fresh coconuts. Hope you get there again, I know you've become a fan of cruises!

      Delete
  6. Great photos, Annie. I love Italy, and Rome in particular. You're right, those random carvings are wonderful, and make me realise how young we are down under. When we planned our recent trip to Europe I chose to return to Paris to sit on sidewalks and inhale the city sounds, smells, language, everything; and it lived up to my expectations. So glad we went back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's another fascinating city, isn't it, Sue? I'm so pleased to hear you had a lovely time returning there. Yes, the age of these places is quite astonishing to an antipodean!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous pictures, Annie. It sounds as if you had the most splendid time! I'd love to visit Rome (or anywhere in Italy!). It's on the bucket list. But a place I never get tired of visiting is London. I just adore the place. Off now to google spritz and Aperol -- it sounds just exactly what I'd love to drink. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I wouldn't be surprised if you moved to London one day, or at least spent a couple of months a year there, writing. I know it's a place you adore and there's a huge amount to see and do isn't there? I'm sure you could get an Aperol Spritz in Australia. Maybe Amy could make us some at the next RWAus conference.

      Delete
  8. Hi Annie! Hi Love Cats! Annie, tickled pink that you love Rome. It's one of my favourite places. There's such a sense of life there and as you say, some amazing historical sites as well. Love the photos! Makes me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you should plan a trip, Anna. I'm sure you'd love it as much the second time around. I can see why you recommended it, that's for sure.

      Delete
  9. What an amazing trip, Annie. I love Rome but haven't been back for years now. I would love to return to Seville. I worked at Expo'92 and would love to return to see how the city looks now. It is such an amazing town with wonderful people and great food - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I've heard wonderful things about Spain. It would be so exciting to go, especially for you, seeing changes after all that time. Hope you get there soon!

      Delete
  10. Loved sharing your Rome stay with you, Annie. It is such a magical city and I can't imagine ever running out of things to see, do and eat! Definitely a place I would like to revisit, along with Florence and Tuscany but there are many other places in Italy I would also like to visit. But being just home from a wonderful week in the Montana mountains that currently tops my "Places I Must Visit Again" list?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I like the idea of doing a different Christmas cocktail every year , Bron!

    ReplyDelete