Jun 16, 2014

Name This Book Contest!

by Rachel Bailey
 
I have a new book coming out in July, and it doesn't have a title yet. 

I'm not sure how many people know this, but a book's title isn't chosen by the author - authors usually hand a manuscript in with their own title, and sometimes they get to keep it. If not, editors usually ask for suggestions, we angst over options, then provide a list, and the editor lets us know later what it will be called. 

In all the books I've written for Desire, only two titles have been mine, or even from my suggestions (which, in many cases, was probably a good thing!).

This July book is something new for me: it's a New Adult rom-com coming out with Entangled, so it's probably not surprising they didn't want to go with my title!

So I thought it might be fun to see what other people think. I'll tell you a bit about the book, you suggest a title, and my favourite suggestion will win a copy of the eBook when it comes out. (Though, the actual title will still be chosen by the editors, not from this contest.)


Ingredients for the new book:

Genre: New Adult rom-com

Hero: Jake, a former world #1 pro surfer

Heroine: Annalise, a fledgling fashion designer

Heroine's pet: Rover, a cat who thinks she's a dog

Heroine's car: a yellow classic mini called Mindy

Connection between hero & heroine: Annalise has had a crush on Jake, her best friend's older brother, since she was fifteen.

Location: Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia

Opening line: 

At five past midday on the day after my birthday, my phone rang and – based on the laws of Murphy – I knew it had to be more bad news, so I was glad I hadn’t changed out of my pajamas yet.


So, hit me. What would you call this book? I'll send a copy of the eBook to the person whose suggestion tickles my fancy!
 


28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh, that's a great one, Mel! I hadn't thought of anything like that one.

      Delete
  2. This is hard, Rachel. The following suggestion took quite a while to surface, no pun intended. "Riding the Waves of her Heart".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, it might have taken a while to surface, but it's gorgeous! It's sweet, just like the heroine. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is so hard- I'm rubbish at anything like this! I can only think of naff things like Summer of Love, or Drowning in You….BLEURGH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louisa, Summer of Love might be a bit cheesy, but I love Drowning in You! It has the water theme as well as that overwhelming feel of first love.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Tammy, that's adorable! You've managed to put the two main elements in the same phrase. Well done!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, how exciting -- a New Adult Rom Com!!! Super congrats on the upcoming release, Rach! Can't wait to read it. :-)

    Uh huh, well I'm no Queen of the Title, I'm afraid. All that's coming to me is Wipe Out (complete with the maniacal laughter beforehand if anyone remembers the song. Hey, I just googled Surf Songs and Summertime Blues could have potential). Hmm…shall put my thinking cap on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all those old surfing songs, Michelle! Wipeout, and all the Beach Boys songs. Wipe Out would make a cool title. :)

      Delete
  6. Rachel, how great to be at the naming stage of the book! Yay! For some reason all that's coming to me is Sand in Her Bikini, which I'm sure is NOT what you're after. Bondi Crush? No, not really. Wish I could come up with something really appealing but right now I'm devoid of ideas. Congratulations on the almost out book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, ha! You're right, Sand in Her Bikini probably isn't the image I'm after. Bondi Crush isn't bad - it sounds a bit like a cocktail!

      Delete
  7. For some reason, A Single Girl in Sydney popped into my head, so that's my contribution for what it's worth.

    Good luck with the book! It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, that has a cool, flirty feel to it. Nice!

      Delete
  8. I'm trying to riff off the crush part and I've noticed that some NA titles are short and to the point. So I'm just going with CRUSH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bronwyn, I just love the word crush. It sounds nice out loud and looks cool when written, so I'm liking your suggestion!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on the sale of this story, Rachel! I've read the first few chapters and I love it! The chemistry between Jake and Annelise is such fun!

    Mmm, I'm so bad at titles though... By Design? Surfing Chic?

    Can't wait to see what they decide on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, thank you so much for reading those first chapters. You're a gem. :)

      Surfing Chic has a ring to it...

      Delete
  10. Rachel

    I do love the sound of this one and I am no good at coming up with titles LOL but how about AS The Tide Turns :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, As The Tide Turns is very creative, Helen! Good one.

      Delete
  11. Hmm, titles. I ran over fifty titles trying to come up with my last one, Rachel. So far all my titles have been accepted by my publisher which I think is pretty unusual.

    Some brainstorm ideas (unedited so some obviously rubbish): Sex Wax and Stilettos (although maybe not YA enough); Waves of Passion; The Catwalk Conclusion; Stilettos, Surf and Satisfaction; Capturing the Surfer's Heart; Gnarly Passion; Gnarly Crush; The Big Swell; Swell and Stilettos...run out of ideas now.

    I look forward to your new, exciting story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, there are some great ideas in there! By the way, this is New Adult, not YA, so the first suggestion is just fine. In fact, the heat level of this book is about the same as my Desire. :)

      Delete
  12. Hia Rachel,
    Perhaps Waves of desire, Bondi breakers, Bondi heartbreaker or Bondi Beloved.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ree, that's a great list. I particularly like Bondi Heartbreaker! Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  13. Many congrats on your sale, Rachel! How about…(Bondi) Beach Bride…x m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, Margie, I like Beach Bride or Bondi Beach Bride. I've always been a fan of alliteration! Thanks. :)

      Delete
  14. Rachel, I totally suck at titles so I shall refrain from making any offerings. It looks like you have a whole ton of goodies to choose from, though. I particularly like Bondi Crush and Crush. Oh, and Drowning in You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, there are lots of goodies here, aren't there? Lol at sucking at titles - I think I may be there with you!

      Delete