Oct 2, 2013

Choose Your Own Adventure

I have some exciting news. I've been invited to join some NY Times best-selling and award-winning authors including Isobelle Carmody, Sean Williams, Sophie Masson on a new interactive storytelling project that aims to culturally enrich cities around the world via real life Choose Your Own Adventure stories. 

It’s a mix of cultural tourism and storybook adventure, I jumped at the chance to bring such an exciting project to my home town. My story would of course be a romance. There are lots of very romantic locations Byron Bay.

The producer Emily Craven has gathered together a dozen award-winning authors, each with a world-wide fanbase and published in over a dozen countries, to write Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style stories in cities across the world. Each adventure is written specifically to highlight the beautiful and intriguing parts of a specific city and to appeal to a young, tech savvy traveller.

The international project creates a completely new way of telling a story, by dropping the reader physically in the middle of it. Rather than reading the choose-your-own-adventure in printed book form, this project is creating maps so adventurers can read the story in the location the adventure is happening. Each map has a series of QR codes that a reader can scan with their smart phone. Each code links them to a webpage where they can read the next part of the adventure and then choose from several options to continue the story. Each new part of the story takes place in one of the locations on the map, showcasing the landmarks of some of the world’s most trendiest cities in a whole new way. Each story happens in a specific city. Other stories are being set in Prague, Paris, New York, Toronto and more.

Not only are we trying to create real adventures, but we’re going to lead you to the hidden nooks and secret features of Byron and other cities around the world, taking you on a journey you would never find in a guide book. At the same time you could be avoiding an alien invasion, solving a mystery, surviving a zombie apocalypse, falling in love… Hey, anything can happen on an adventure…

Not only is the project unusual but so is the method of funding it. To get this project off the ground, Emily has organised crowdfunding. Crowdfunding involves raising funds from the public, via ‘pledging’ to support the project start-up costs. In return, the ‘pledgers’ get rewards for contributing to the project, with different rewards for various levels of contribution ranging from maps, to books to, private conversations with authors, to actually having a character in one of the adventures being named after you! You can pledge for just $5.

The crowdfunding campaign finishes on the 4th of October 2013. If you would like to find out more about the Choose-Your-Adventure project, see the crowdfunding page. There's a video that explains everything!

If you could Choose-Your-Own-Adventure, which destination would you like to explore during your adventure?

16 comments:

  1. Hi jennifer

    This sounds like lots of fun and seeing as how I have not done much travelling this would be a good way to see the world :)

    I would love to have an adventure somewhere in The Scotish Highlands :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Scottish Highlands would be wonderful, Helen. I agree, I think it would be a really fun way to explore new places!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I want to go to the Scottish Highlands with Helen. Or maybe Milan or the Swiss Alps. Then again, I have a soft spot for Byron Bay - it's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo yes, Milan or Swiss Alps sound fabulous too, Rachel. Byron Bay has so many romantic spots it might to hard to choose which locations to set the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This sounds really exciting and actually pretty challenging, too, Jen! Kudos to you for being chosen to participate! it's sounds like each of you will have to spend heaps of time exploring your area to find the hidden treasures all in the name of research - what a great excuse! LOL

    I'll pop over to have a look at the crowdfunding site in a minute and apologies if this is covered there... but is each story sort of serialised to match the locations? And are there several threads the story can follow depending on the reader's choice of location?

    Mmm, liking the sounds of a Scottish Highlands adventure. But I also love exploring right here in my own "backyard" so your Byron Bay story sounds just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thrilled to be asked to participate, Sharon. I haven't written anything like this before so it will be a challenge. What you're described is exactly what happens. Thanks so much for visiting the crowdfunding site. I was listening to radio national the other day and it sounds like there are quite a few projects now getting up with the help of crowdfunding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic project, Jennifer. Somewhere in Ireland for me, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ireland, Sue. All those castles, history and music!!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a fab project, Jen! I bet you'll have a whole load of fun with it.

    As for destinations, I'd choose London -- just so I could revisit it through someone else's eyes. But if I wanted somewhere altogether new to explore I think I'd choose Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, both great cities, Michelle. I lived in London for nearly seven years and don't feel like I saw or experienced even 1% of what that amazing city had to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, this sounds so exciting. Thanks for sharing! Hm, the word adventure made me think of Egypt or Morocco or somewhere else with an exotic feel. Perhaps next time? I'm sure Byron will make a wonderful setting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon you could have an amazing, exotic adventure in Egypt and Morocco, Annie.

      Delete
  11. This sounds so COOL, Jen! A musician friend of mine launched his first album with the help of crowd funding and he's gone on to great things. I think I'd choose Istanbul a my city to explore. I've only been there once but would love to go back and explore properly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great to hear about other projects that have been successful with crowdfunding, Barb. I haven't been to Istanbul but hear it is an amazing city. A great choice for an adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a cool idea! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete