Sep 17, 2012

Seasonal Affected Disorder


lemons for gin!
Boy, do I like September! Down here at the bottom of the world September heralds the beginning of spring- which is way opposite to you Northern types. But just like spring everywhere the weather gets a little crazy, we have hot spells and cold snaps and everything’s kind of shaking around and unsettled. It’s reading outside weather one minute and snow the next. You need to remember to carry gloves, an umbrella, sunshades and sunscreen. Be prepared for four seasons in one day. I love it.
I love the heat starting to warm my bones, the new buds of life braving the hardened ground, the longer nights. Birdsong. Vibrant colours.
spring color
There’s something special about spring- new hope, promises of long hot days just around the corner. The debate about when is the best time to take the heated blanket off the bed! (We never get it right!).
Come to think of it, I like living in a place where there is a definite change every few months - don’t get me wrong, I imagine it must be bliss to live in eternal sunshine, or a constant heat like Singapore, but I like the change that seasons bring. 

tiny radishes
I also like the fact we can start planting out our veggies for summer. When I was away at conference my darling husband got busy and sowed a few seeds. I can’t wait until these are ready to pick! Also, the spuds are in, we have seedlings to plant this weekend- and I saw tomato plants in the garden centre the other day so I’ll nip down and get some of those too. We only have a small veggie garden, but it makes me happy! My husband laughs at me because I have a rule for gardening- I will only plant and care for things we can eat. (Anything else- he gets to do). 


So tell me, what’s your favourite season. And what are some good recommendations for spring planting and summer eating?

16 comments:

  1. Hi Louisa!

    Lemons for Gin? I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louisa, like you I like the sense of change in the air. I prefer spring and autumn to summer and winter and right now, like you, I'm enjoying the sense of things growing and the lovely scents of blossom on the air.

    Favourite home grown treat? Too many to choose from but I love the old staples - massive juicy lemons and tasty tomatoes. What would warm weather be without them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louisa, I adore this time of year! But just a little more I like April, going into autumn in this part of the world. That change that leaves behind those really muggy days (or most of the them, at least!).
    As for planting, I love begonias and impatiens. Think I might do some planting this coming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nas! Thanks for stopping by! Gotta love lemons! L xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie! I'm guessing your spring is like our summer? I absolutely adore tomatoes warmed from the sun and fresh off the vine- add in some garlic, olive oil and basil- yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robyn! Love the colors of begonias and impatiens- definitely know that spring is here when I see those- like freesias, too. Happy planting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autumn is my favourite season, Louisa. I love it when the air starts to cool after a scorching summer. That said, I'm certainly enjoying the odd warmer day that we've been having.

    And as I loathe gardening, I'll leave the planting suggestions to those more experienced. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love daffodils (nearly finished) and freesias (ditto), moving onto pansies and sweet peas - oh, and edibles too. Favourite season is definitely spring, closely followed by autumn (though I don't like what follows autumn!) Love the newness and freshness and greenness and brightness of spring, and the glorious colours and yes, the messy leaves, of autumn. And the temperatures with those crisp clear days! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm heading into fall which I love. I love our fresh herbs. This year we have been harvesting them as the summer went on, freezing cubes of basil, parsley, taragon, mint, sage etc and trying to keep that fresh from the garden taste for a bit longer. We love tomatoes and we always grow a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle- I'm quite partial to autumn too-'mists and mellow fruitfulness' and all that- lots of harvest-worthy food and beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Clare! I think freesias are my favorite flowers- their smell is divine (and remind me of my childhood church processions when I always carried a bunch). And sweet peas remind me of happy days at my father-in-law's allotment harvesting produce. Smells evoke such memories don't they? Not sure I like those autumn leaves, though- they always seem to blow into my porch and make a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kaelee- freezing the herbs? What a great idea! I usually dry them, but freezing sounds neat. Think I'll give it try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had to pop in again when I saw the herb comment - it reminded me of an great hint I saw just recently - freeze your fresh herbs in small icecubes of olive oil. Then they're all ready to go when you need some flavoured oil to cook with! Easy, no? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, Clare- that's very clever- you can freeze olive oil? Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Louise, fun post! I'm a great fan of silverbeet - it's hardy and doesn't need much TLC. AND it survives the brown-thumbed TLC that I give it really well! LOL

    I've also found zucchinis can be fairly robust once they get to a reasonable size - I have my fingers crossed for the seeds I've just planted!

    What great tips about the herbs and herbs-in-oil in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm fond of all the seasons, except perhaps the middle of summer (which I might not mind so much if I lived somewhere less hot than Qld). Though I particularly like spring for all the reasons you listed. :)

    ReplyDelete