Aug 10, 2011

Finding Inspiration

Reading: Storm’s Heart by Thea Harrison
Watching: Reruns of Friends
Listening to: Lady Gaga
Making me smile: My little boy’s laugh



Finding time to be creative with a baby in the house can be a challenge! I’ve been learning to write my stories in the little snippets of time (usually when my little man is napping). But in amongst a busy lifestyle (mine involves feeding, changing and playing with a baby) it can be hard to find inspiration, even when I do find some time to write. I’m guessing it is the same for many people, whatever their creative endeavours might be.


Image: Karl Hackett

There are lots of ways to find inspiration – music, beautiful pictures, quotes (or as Michelle mentioned, singing!) One thing I like to do is collect inspirational quotes to fire my creativity.


Here are a couple of my favourites about courage:

"I think there are two keys to being creatively productive. One is not being daunted by one's fear of failure. The second is sheer perseverance."
~ Mary-Claire King

“The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” ~ Leo F. Buscaglia


“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” ~ Andre Gide

Anyone want to share their favourite quotes that make them smile and fill them with inspiration? I could always do with some more!

9 comments:

  1. How about "Every artist was once an amateur." Kind of gives you permission to grow and enjoy along the way!

    Looks like everyone's busy at the Aussie conference!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Anna! Really a great post..especially when inspiration is the only thing that keeps "writers" going :)

    I sometimes give myself permission to write -even if it's something not good!

    I love the quote : Books aren't written - they're rewritten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made up a quote to keep me going with writing. "It's all about the creation, not the gain afterward." It helps keep me in check as I write.

    Great post, Anna! Best of luck with your writing and your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna,

    Lovely post. I especially like that last quote. Thanks for sharing them, both here and elsewhere! ;)

    Here are some of my faves:

    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams,

    and this gem from Tolkein;

    Never laugh at live dragons.

    Bubs sounds like a delight, and I'm so glad you're managing to fit some time in to write. I think that's courageous as well.

    Hugs, E x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robyn --
    Love the quote! Yep, so many Cats are busy at the conference (I'm very jealous I couldn't make it and hang out with everyone). I will be making an appearance at the Clayton's Conference -- should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy Ju!
    Love that quote -- so true about the rewriting. And all writers have to give themselves permission to write crap!

    Hope you're well and your writing is flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marlena --
    Excellent quote -- too many writers (me included!) sometimes forget about enjoying the writing process.

    Thanks for the wishes for my writing and bub -- it is a balancing act at the moment so all luck is welcomed (-:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Em --
    Wonderful quotes -- knew you'd have some good ones.

    I think you're courageous finding time to write with multiple kiddies around!! Yep, bub is a delight...especially when he's smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anna,

    some great quotes there - what is it about them that makes you nod your head in understanding?
    I'll be imparting some nice quotes and top tips throughout Claytons - no doubt I will see you there!

    ReplyDelete